top of page
  • Writer's pictureWayne Barnett FCA | MIPW | STEP Affiliate

HM Government recommends British expats exchange MEU3 for MUKW3

Updated: Mar 15, 2023

If you were legally resident in Cyprus or you can prove that you arrived in Cyprus before 1 January 2021, you will be able to stay

If you registered as a resident before 1 January 2021, you will have an MEU residence document, either an MEU1 or MEU3. Non-EU family members will have a MEU2. As of 1 January 2021, the Cypriot government introduced a new residence document for UK nationals and their family members in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement. If you are registering for the first time, you also have the right to obtain this new document. If you have been legally resident in Cyprus for:

  • over 5 years, you will be eligible for permanent residency and a 10-year renewable residency document (MUKW3)

  • less than 5 years, you will be eligible for a document with 5 years validity (MUKW1)

  • non-EU family members will be eligible for a MUKW2 document

You have the right to replace your EU residence (MEU) document for the new one (MUKW) but you are not required to. However, we would recommend that you get it, as this document will declare your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, simplifying administrative processes and border crossings.

Unlike the MEU documents the MUKW document is a physical laminated card that hold your biometrics. It is quite a simple procedure to change your MEU document to the new MUKW document and here at Maplebrook Services Limited we are happy to assist you with this. Please contact us or submit one of the contact forms below.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page